Bull Terrier Puppy Training
Check out these top tips on Bull Terrier puppy training!
- It’s best to start training your Bull Terrier puppy the moment you bring them home. As remember – your Bull Terrier will (hopefully) remember this training for the rest of their lives.
- Sometimes Bull Terrier puppy training can get a little frustrating. However, try and remain patient. Your hard work will be worth it in the end!
- Bull Terrier puppy training should not be seen as a chore but as a chance to have fun and bond with your new pet. So remember – try and have fun throughout the entire training process.
- Did you know that all dogs, including Bull Terriers seek pack order and within these packs they look for an alpha leader? And did you know that your new Bull Terrier puppy will view your family as their new pack? Therefore, it is important that you, as their main trainer, establish yourself as the alpha leader of your family or pack. By doing this your Bull Terrier will be more likely to respect and listen to you – which will be especially helpful during training sessions. The best way to prove your alpha leadership position is by doing everything before your Bull Terrier puppy. For example always eat before your Bull Terrier puppy and always go through doorways before them. But if you do not become the alpha leader of your family or pack then your Bull Terrier may try and take up the role. If this happens then your Bull Terrier may misbehave and they could also become a handle to train.
- You will need to repeat things numerous times when Bull Terrier puppy training. This is due to the fact that your Bull Terrier puppy is only young and therefore they will not pick up things straight away. As an example you will need to repeat the “sit” command over and over again until your Bull Terrier puppy will understand its full meaning.
- Rewards are a great way to encourage your Bull Terrier puppy during training sessions. Rewards can be anything from a yummy doggy treat to just cuddles and praise. If you use one of these rewards when your Bull Terrier puppy does something correctly then it is likely they will want to repeat the good behavior again in the future.
- Consistency is key when Bull Terrier puppy training. For example you need to stick to your rules. If you decide on a rule where your Bull Terrier puppy is forbidden on the sofa, then commit to this rule. Do not let them onto the sofa for a special cuddle every now and then. If you do this then your Bull Terrier puppy will only get confused and they will not learn the difference between right and wrong. The same goes for your commands. If you choose the command “sit” then stand by this. Do not change it to “sit puppy” every now and then. Again this inconsistency will only confuse your Bull Terrier puppy.
- Your Bull Terrier puppy will not be able to concentrate for very long periods of time. Therefore it’s best to keep training sessions short at around ten minutes in length maximum. But, you can have a number of these shorter training sessions spread throughout the day.
There you have it – some great Bull Terrier puppy training tips. So what are you waiting for? Start training your new Bull Terrier puppy today!